Saturday, June 9, 2012

Prarie Dogs and Baby Calves

 I have found it to be true that "there is no place like home"! I absolutely love it each time we get to visit Monticello and do the things I grew up doing. When Dallen and I went down this past time we went out and shot prarie dogs, got close up to the bulls, and were able to pet some baby calves. I miss being on the ranch and working with my dad and siblings especially during the spring time when there is new life all around and all the elk are changing. The bulls are in the velvet growing their horns while baby calves are being born and there is ALWAYS something to keep you busy. Anyways, we had a fun morning as we shot over 75 shells, killing atleast one or more prarie dogs/shell. They too had given birth this spring to what seemed like thousands!!! They were everywhere and each time we shot, more would pop their heads out of the holes. If we wouldn't have run out of amo we could have stayed there all day long!
 Roxy had a lot of fun with us too. She would run over to the holes where we had been shooting to see if there was anthing there for her. At one of the holes a prarie dog grabbed her lip and wouldn't let go! She was thrashing her head and growling at it but couldn't get it to come off. It was quite funny to watch
 It has been a rough year with moisture and hay prices have shot up real high so most of these bulls will be gone come this fall, but here are some that we have as of now. They're always so cool this time of year in th velvet!  
 Notice the bull on the the bottom left with the kicker

 The #10 bull on the right is mine. He's looking great so far but leaving this fall as well

And the baby calves! Aren't they AWESOME!?!

 Most often times we don't get this lucky to sit and take pictures with the calves. The mom's get really protective and will charge at anything or anyone if they feel that thier baby is in danger. Luckily most of the mom's were in a different section of fencing this time so we closed the gate and were able to pet this little girl. I love thier little spots and like to watch them as they learn to walk with their long, awkward legs. haha

I'm so happy Dallen was able to be here for this trip! Last year he had quite the experience while trying to help my dad tag a couple calves and I'm glad this time was more relaxing. We had so much fun together on the ranch!

No comments:

Post a Comment