Sunday, November 14, 2010

United Way Gala



For the month of November Anna, Samentha, and I were involved in our leadership which was the United Way Gala on November 13th.. The money that is earned from this event (100% of it all) is given to charity causes of mothers who are struggling with raising a child, are trying to go back to college but can’t afford it, are in abusive relationships but can’t pay for psychiatric appointments, and more.

Samentha, Anna, and I went around knocking from door to door asking if people would be willing to volunteer with our project. I was able to get 11 people to sign up which was great! We had enough volunteers and were dresses formally for the event. When we got there, we had a great dinner and then went under training as to how we would keep track of money that the bidders were bidding, and making receipts. I was in charge of the silent auctions and made sure that the people were doing them right. I was there for questions that needed asked and I was a representation of the United Way organization. When the auction started, I was responsible to get the right prizes to the right people and make sure that their receipt was the right amount. It was a lot of walking and standing on my feet for the night but everything turned out great and there was a lot of money earned for women.

I am glad that my mentor suggested that we help with this project that she had because I was able to see how big banquets are ran and how things can be done effectively. It was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment